Smart DNS is a technical "trick" that cheats websites to believe that the user is in a different place from the person in question. It can be used to access systems and services from physical locations that are blocked by normal access.
Smart DNS can e.g. used to access DR and TV2 from abroad, to American Netflix, HBO etc. without being in the United States and English BBC without being in the UK.
It is not illegal to use Smart DNS and is an excellent alternative to VPNif you can do without encryption and just want access to blocked streaming services and the like.
Boats US-unblock og Unlocator are good Smart DNS providers that both support a variety of streaming services, including American Netflix and HBO, British BBC and Danish DR.dk and TV2. VPN Dealer ExpressVPN provides Smart DNS as part of their subscriptions.
How it works Smart DNS
DNS stands for "Domain Name System" and acts as a directory for websites. If you enter a URL into its browser, a message is made in a database where it is connected to the IP address of the server where the site is physically located.
So, the URL is just a nice and easy way to use URLs instead of unmanageable IPs that are neither reminiscent or telling about the content of the site. DNS is used not only for displaying websites but for directing all kinds of traffic on the web; including access to Netflix, HBO, BBC, DR, TV ”etc.
When the DNS entry is made, the user's IP is also sent the other way, ie to the site, which inter alia reveals where in the world they are. In this way, providers of the site or service can sort in the users they allow to access and check what they have access to.
Connects to Netflix from a Danish IP one can therefore be shown other content than if you are at an American address. It is also based on IP that streaming from DR.dk from abroad is prevented and only British have access to the BBC.
Users do not have access to the site through the DNS. It only tells where the physics site is located so that the user has direct access from his device.
Normally, the DNS man is using is specified by the ISP and that is the few the few have tickled and are aware of. The slightly more hardcore (nerded?) May have replaced the default DNS servers with some from OpenDNS or Google in a hope of a slightly faster and more anonymous internet. However, they still work as common DNS, but may be a little faster and do not save the DNS's DNS storage.
The smart in Smart DNS lies in the fact that the DNS server distinguishes between the entries made and for some websites redirects the connection through a connection point: A proxy. If you use eg. Smart DNS and connects to American HBO or Netflix USA, register Smart DNS this and redirects the connection so that it passes through a proxy in the United States. Netflix therefore sees the user as American and shows content from American Netflix.
Only the traffic to selected sites is redirected so that all other Internet connections work normally. Smart DNS is truly smart!
Er Smart DNS illegal?
It is not illegal to use Smart DNS and in this article at politiken.dk regarding. access to American Netflix says lawyer specializing in IT, Martin von Haller Grønbæk, the following:
If you got access to a copy of a movie or series on Netflix Without paying, it would clearly be illegal. But that is not the case if Netflix streams the movie legally and you pay for Netflix, whether you use the Danish or American version. So I can't see why it should be illegal.
So it's not illegal, though Netflix are not happy about it so they have in some cases blocked for access from the proxy servers, which Smart DNS providers use. However, the problem is not greater than that the providers can simply change the IP address of the proxy servers and easily access again. Thus, an electronic version of the cat plays after the mouse, where Smart DNS The providers have the clear advantage.
It is unknown at the time of writing whether other places like DR.dk, TV2.dk, BBC etc. use the same tactics and what the long-term prospects are, but it should immediately be easy for Smart DNS Providers keep their services running.
Smart DNS or VPN?
Whether to choose Smart DNS or VPN depends entirely on what to use it for. If you just want access to various blocked streaming services from abroad, then manage Smart DNS The task perfectly. However, one must be aware that it is only included VPNthat the connection is encrypted, so if one is looking for increased security, anonymity, etc., one should choose VPN.
Many types of VPN providers offer along with one VPN subscription and Smart DNS Service at no extra charge, so if you are in doubt, you can advantageously use both without it costing much extra.
Advantages of Smart DNS compared to VPN
- faster: Because data should not be encrypted, which requires processing power and thus often is a bottleneck, the connection to the site is faster with Smart DNS compared to VPN. Often there is no reduction in speed at all, which can be the difference between whether you can stream in 4K or "only". HD.
- easy: Do you want to use the web plainly (whatever it means) and just want American Netflix, HBO, British BBC or the like, should Smart DNS just activated and it does everything automatically, so you also have access to DR.dk and other sites that require Danish IP address. You can get access to American Netflix by connecting to an American VPN server, but then the connection must be changed according to which sites you want to access.
Disadvantages of Smart DNS compared to VPN
- Not anonymous: As the connection is only redirected and not encrypted, the user can be traced through his IP address, which remains unchanged. You should not use it Smart DNS for purposes where one wants to be anonymous and cannot be traced.
- Not sure: As written, then use Smart DNS not encryption so your data can be intercepted by savvy. However, this does not apply if you are connected to a location that uses secure connection (HTTPS), which online banks, webshops and other sites that handle sensitive data often use (e.g. VPN-info.dk).
- Do not remove censorship: The unencrypted connection unfortunately does not prevent the blocking of websites, so if you are in China, Iran or the like and want to connect to the outside world, you get a bad disappointment if you use Smart DNS. In this case, one must have one VPN.
Smart DNS providers
US-unblock is one of the biggest players on Smart DNS market and supports so many websites and services that the list is too long to pass on here. The main rule is that it exists, so it is supported by Unblock-Us. You can of course use American Netflix, BBC, DR.dk, TV2 and a host of other channels and services.
Unblock-US costs the same as its competitors; namely $ 4,16 per month by payment for one year at $ 49,90 and a single month available for $ 4,99. Unlike OverPlay, Unblock-US has a free trial of one week that can be used without entering credit card information.
Unlocator is a Danish company and offers access to over 200 access-restricted streaming services, which of course also counts Netflix USA. As competitors, Unlocator costs $ 4,95 for a month and $ 49,95 for a year. Just like Unblock-US, Unlocator has a free one-week trial and offers a money-back guarantee on all 14 days subscriptions.
VPN providers with Smart DNS
Some VPN providers offer as part of the subscription "free" Smart DNS. It is eg. case for subscriptions at ExpressVPN.